[TalkPython] Modern APIs with FastAPI and Python Course
FastAPI is one of the most exciting new web frameworks out today. It’s exciting because it leverages more of the modern Python language features than any other framework: type hints, async and await, dataclasses, and much more. If you are building an API in Python, you have many choices. But, to us, FastAPI is the clear choice going forward. And this course will teach you everything you need to know to get started. We’ll build a realistic API working with live data and deploy that API to a cloud server Linux VM. In fact, you’ll even see how to create proper HTML web pages to augment your API all within FastAPI.
What is this course about and how is it different?
This course is designed to get you creating new APIs running in the cloud with FastAPIs quickly. We start off with just a little foundational concepts, then jump right into build our first API with FastAPI.
Then we explore the foundational modern Python features to make sure you’re ready to take full advantage of this framework. We’ll look at how async and await works in Python, how to build self-validating and describing classes with Pydantic, Python 3’s type hints, and other core language concepts.
We round out the course by building a realistic API working with live data. Then we deploy that API using nginx + gunicorn + uvicorn running on Ubuntu in a cloud VM at Digital Ocean.
Source code: https://github.com/talkpython/modern-apis-with-fastapi
What topics are covered
• See how easy it can be to work with basic APIs in FastAPI.
• Create API methods that handle common HTTP commands (GET, POST, DELETE, etc.)
• Return JSON data to API clients
• Use async and await to create truly scalable applications
• Will use Pydantic to create required and optional data exchange
• Make FastAPI automatically check and convert data types (for example, “2021-01-05” to date and time)
• Organize your application with APIRoutes to properly decompose your application into Python files.
• Return the most appropriate error response to API clients (e.g. 400 Bad Request)
• Understand why gunicorn and uvicorn should be used together in a production environment
• And much more
Who is this course for?
This course is for anyone who wants to build an API with Python as the backend language. If you want your API to rival the speed and features of any major web API framework, this is the course to take.
The student requirements are quite light for this course. You’ll need Basic Python language knowledge:
API clients (making a call with requests)
Note: All software used during this course, including editors, Python language, etc., are 100% free and open source. You won’t have to buy anything to take the course.
About The Instructor
My name is Michael, nice to meet you. There are a couple of reasons I’m especially qualified to teach you Python.
1. I’m the host of the #1 podcast on Python called Talk Python To Me. Over there, I’ve interviewed many of the leaders and creators in the Python community. I bring that perspective to all the courses I create.
2. I’ve been a professional software trainer for over 10 years. I have taught literally thousands of professional developers in hundreds of courses throughout the world.
Size: 3.08 GB